Welcome back to Throwback Thursday the brainchild of Maggie and Lauren. Lauren is here again to provide a prompt to jog our memories. We’ve talked about first crushes so it’s only logical to wonder about actual dates. When you think back to your “first dates,” do you cringe or smile? Whatever age you started dating, it was sure to have been an exciting step into being a grown-up. First dates can be awkward, nerve-wracking, exciting, disastrous, wonderful or any number of things. When you start dating, it is usually to find someone who you enjoy spending time with. Then dating becomes more about finding someone you connect with and care about; someone who makes you happy and who you can make happy in return.
The prompt this week is first dating experiences.
1) On your very first date, did you do the asking, or were you asked out?
I was asked out.
2) Were you typically stressed out before a first date?
No not at first.
Did things seem to be easier the more you dated the same person?
No not really typically things seemed to get harder and complicated.
3) What did you do to prepare for the date? Did you wear new clothes, or special outfits?
That’s a hard one because I came from a large working class family and a lot of my clothes were hand me down. I made the most of what I had and occasionally borrowed from my nearest sister.
4) How did you meet those first dates?
I can’t remember how I met my first ever date , strange isn’t it? But most of them I met at the youth club I attended with my friend Anne from school.
Were your dates with friends of a family member, or friends of a friend?
Yes a couple were , a brother of a girl at school and then one of his friends oops!
5) Did you have a curfew on those early dates?
I had a cerfew right up until I got married! At first it was 9pm then went up to 9.30pm. When I met hubby it went up to 10.30pm and there it stayed until we got married.
Did you typically arrive home on time or were you constantly breaking curfew?
I was very good really, hubby sometimes would rebel and we’d be a quarter of an hour late. He’d be banned from the house for a week!
6) Did your parents insist on meeting whomever you dated?
7) Where did you usually go when on a date? (movies, concerts, picnics, etc.)
All of the above…even went to the Zoo with my very first date.
8) Did the boy/man always pay for the date or did you go Dutch treat?
Dutch until I met hubby.
9) Were you typically the talker or the listener on a date?
10) What did you do if the date clearly wasn’t going well? (feign a headache, ask to go home, end the date early, etc.)
I’d say that my father wanted me home by 8pm or earlier, or I had to be up extra early the next day.
11) A connection from the past to the present, if applicable. How long did you date your current partner before marriage?
Four years I was coming up 14yrs when I met him and I was 17yrs nearly 18yrs when we married.
12) Bonus Question: Care to share a disasters first date??????
Once my cousin and I had a double date and with these two older lads who wanted more than we expected…we to the ladies and left. Safety in numbers 💜💜